Free Stuff, Samples, Coupons, and Sweepstakes | Woman Freebies
May 14, 2015 | Videos
Yuka Yoneda shows you how to make an edible water “bottle” using the process of spherification. This is an innovative new water “bottle” with an edible, zero-waste skin.
YOU WILL NEED:
– 1 g of sodium alginate (a natural substance derived from brown seaweed)
– 5 g of food-grade calcium lactate (a type of salt that can be found commonly in cheese and gum)
– A bowl filled with 1 cup of drinking water
– Another bowl filled with 4 cups of water
– Another bowl filled with water for rinsing off the “bottles”
– An immersion blender (you could also use a regular blender)
– A deep spoon like a measuring spoon
STEP 1: Add 1 g of sodium alginate to 1 cup of water. Then use an immersion blender to dissolve the sodium alginate. Once you’re confident that it’s dissolved, set the mixture aside to get rid of any air bubbles that may have formed during blending.
STEP 2: Add 5 g of calcium lactate to 4 cups of water and mix well using a spoon.
STEP 3: Scoop up some of your sodium alginate solution using a deep spoon. Very carefully plop the sodium alginate into the calcium lactate bath. Repeat with the remaining sodium alginate but do not crowd the bath.
STEP 4: Stir the sodium alginate bubbles very gently for 3 minutes.
STEP 5: After 3 minutes, remove the “bottles” from the calcium lactate bath using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a water bath to stop the reaction.
And there you have it! Your edible water “bottles” are ready for drinking, er, eating, or whatever you want to call it.
You work too hard for your money to throw it all away on full price when you don't have to!