Free Stuff, Samples, Coupons, and Sweepstakes | Woman Freebies
August 15, 2015 | Videos
I can’t wait to make this recipe for my husband, lemon meringue is his favorite!
Gemma’s Lemon Meringue Pie
Yields 1 large pie or 4 small pies
1 ⅓ Cup (175g) plain flour
7 Tbsp (100g) cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 Tbsp icing sugar
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp water
Pinch of salt
Finely grated zest and juice of 4 large lemons
2 Tbsp cornflour
½ Cup (100g) sugar
1 whole eggs and 3 yolks, mixed (at room temperature)
6 Tbsp (85g) butter
For the Meringue (video: http://bit.ly/GemmasMeringues)
4 egg whites (at room temperature) (120g)
1 ⅔ Cup sugar
1. Put flour, butter and icing sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until fine crumbs form. Mix together the egg yolks and water and add to the dry ingredients. Pulse until a dough forms., around 10 seconds.
2. Wrap the pastry in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minute to allow the gluten to relax.
3. Grease your pie dish with butter ( For a big pie 18” or more, I used 41/2” small tins)
4. Roll out the pastry to ¼ cm . Carefully line your dish pushing the pastry into the edges. Leave an extra lip of pastry and the edges. Leave it rough as you will discard after baking. Pierce (dock) the pastry base with a fork. Brush with egg white to form a seal and freeze until solid.
5. Bake at 400oF (200oC) 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. While still warm run a knife around the edge of the pastry make it level and clean. (see in video)
6. For the Lemon Curd: Put lemon juice in a measuring jug and top up with water to 1 ½ Cups (300ml). Otherwise it will be extremely lemony.
7. Pour into a medium saucepan, caster sugar and zest. Bring to a simmer. Mix a little hot lemon juice with the cornflour, whisk and add it back into the saucepan.
8. Whisk well. Cook over a medium heat for 4 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add whole egg and remaining egg yolks and butter. Cook for 3 minutes or until thick.
9. Pass through a sieve to take out zest and any cooked egg. Put into a clean bowl and cover surface with a butter paper (or rub with a little butter and cling film). Set aside to cool.
10. Put egg whites in the grease free bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium until it forms soft peaks.
11. Slowly add in the sugar a tablespoon at a time until incorporated. The mix will more the double in size and be light. watch http://bit.ly/1hO554K for method.
12. To assemble the Pie: Fill your pie crust fill the lemon curd all the way to the rim. Pile your meringue high on top. The BIGGER the BETTER!!
13. Bake at 400oF (2OOoF) for 8 minutes only. Take care not to over cook as the meringue will burn if left. Enjoy!!!!!
You work too hard for your money to throw it all away on full price when you don't have to!